Thursday, May 21

Who's Gonna Come Out On Top?


I absolutely, positively, despise…no, I HATE losing! It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth when I compete against someone and they have the audacity to gloat…IN MY FACE…can you believe that? In MY face!!! Now I have been known to be one to talk a little garbage from time to time, but I don’t talk it unless I can back it up, and nine times out of ten…I can.

A friend of mine recently invited me to play basketball with the team from his job in their league at the YMCA. First of all…I can play ball, but I’ve never claimed to be either Kobe or LeBron. I think we make up a pretty competitive force when all of our individual skills are considered, but we don’t quite gel the way we should. It seems like everyone knows what they do best, but only a few understand that all of us can’t show out at once. We lost on Monday. Although the style of play never changed from how we’d played before (when we were winning). It seems as though a microscope magically came out of the blue, and we began to point out specific areas that needed improvement. I wish I could say it went as smoothly as that last sentence, but it really ended up being a lot of finger pointing (myself included). Maybe we’ll make the necessary changes, maybe we won’t; but that’s the difference between the winners and the frustrated. Winners take the time to go through the piles and piles of tape, and recognize their previous errors. Winners go through the play-by-play and the post-game analysis and find out what they need to do to increase the probability of victory. So, what do I expect you to do? Play more basketball? Watch Kenny Smith, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley, Chris Webber, and all of them? No…not necessarily. Whatever your doing in life, I don’t think you’re looking forward to losses…but are you preparing yourself to win?

No comments:

Post a Comment